Friday, June 11, 2010

I'm Not Fearless







I'm not fearless. You know the type of artist I'm talking about. The kind that takes to the bristol and starts drawing with nary a sketch or thumbnail to guide them. I've always been a little envious of that ability. Just doesn't work for me. I literally have to work out all the kinks before I really commit to good paper. I guess I'm a control freak, and that characteristic shines through even when I draw. Sigh.






Perhaps that's why I enjoy sketching initially in ballpoint pen on plain old printing paper. It's probably when I'm most free... unafraid to make a "mistake". I don't really care about correct [or even stylized anatomy for that matter] at that point. I'm just trying to get the "gesture" or the "feel" of the drawing. After that, I break out the tracing paper and start refining. What I sometimes lose in spontaneity I make up for in polishing the final product before I EVER commit to good bristol. Pro and cons to everything I guess...

No comments: